Wilmot Orchards Inc.
Banked by the rolling hills of the Oak Ridges Moraine and overlooking the waters of Lake Ontario, the farm is situated just 3 miles north of the Hwy# 401 between Bowmanville and Newcastle.
Imagine standing here, breathing in the fresh air, looking at green vistas… it’s like standing inside a painting. Like visiting a place akin to the old world of Provence, where centuries of appreciating the beauty of nature and its bounty have become an art.
History of the Farm
In 1976, after graduating from the University of Guelph, Charles purchased the farm and gave it the name, Wilmot Orchards. Wilmot Creek was named after one of Newcastle’s founding fathers, Samuel Wilmot, and flows directly through the farm.
Today, Wilmot Orchards continues as a family business, owned and operated by Charles and Judi with the help of their daughter, Courtney.
In 1979, looking for a new challenge, Charles planted his first Highbush blueberries. By 1983, the public was welcomed to “Pick Your Own”. As our “P.Y.O.” grew so did the blueberry patch to its present total of just over 20 acres.
Pick Your Own (EST. 1983)
• Children accompanied by adults are definitely welcome. A great place for a family outing. Enjoy a refreshing blueberry treat at Appleberries Cafe while you are here.
• Bushes as high as 5’ – 7’ for easy picking
• 8 varieties of blueberries to suit every taste
• Season starts late July and ends Labour Day weekend depending on weather and crop conditions
• Small wagons provided for your convenience
• Fresh picked berries are available daily while quantities last
• Available for purchase – pints, 2litre, and 4litre baskets
We appreciate the distance our customers travel to enjoy the experience of picking our berries.
Appleberries Patio Café, (and restrooms) provides a place for you to enjoy a cold drink, cup of tea, blueberry treat and just sit and rest awhile. During blueberry season, we often have people come on a cafe excursion to enjoy the friendly atmosphere over treats with friends and family. Appleberries has become a destination all of its own. At the café, we offer a selection of homemade blueberry desserts, assorted beverages and a shaded patio with “old country charm”.
Looking for more ways to include healthy blueberries in your diet, see our Recipe Pages for great blueberry recipe ideas!